Driving the Day: 5/14/12
Subscribe today for Free Enterprise Updates
- Latest business trends and best practices
- News about legislation and regulation impacting business
- Business how-to articles from industry experts
- Commentary and interviews with newsmakers in business and politics
May 14, 2012
Need to know…
- Economists Forecast Subdued Growth This Year. Economists surveyed by the WSJ expect the economy to grow at such a subdued pace this year that unemployment will barely budge. Of the 50 economists surveyed, a third see the biggest risk to growth coming from political inaction this year. The effects of the Eurozone crisis were the biggest potential pitfall, cited by more than half of the respondents.
- Stocks Plummet Worldwide as Worries Over Greece Intensify. Uncertainty over Greece’s struggle to form a unity government, along with unexpectedly weak industrial production data from the Euro zone are pounding world markets today, sending the Euro to near four month lows and European shares down 1.5%. Asian markets ended mixed today. As of 6:11 am, Dow futures were down 96 points.
- Health Insurance Marketplaces in Limbo Until Supreme Court Decision. In about two dozen states across the country, the insurance marketplaces at the heart of the 2010 health-care law remain in limbo. According to the Washington Post, Republican governors or lawmakers who oppose the law are refusing to act until the Supreme Court rules on its constitutionality.
Worth the read…
- ‘Taxmaggedon’ is a Real Threat – John Snow, Former Secretary of the Treasury, via The Wall Street Journal
- What Facebook IPO Says About Venture Capital – Fortune
- Greece Hits Political Stalemate, Euro Exit Fears Grow – Reuters
- Kickstarter ‘Bug’ Exposed Projects – The Wall Street Journal
- Hospitals Seek Startups to Cure Tech Ills – Businessweek
- Minority Contracts Fall for First Time in Decade – The Washington Post
- New Tech Spenders in Feeding Frenzy – The Wall Street Journal
- Mother’s Day Shopping a Big Boost for Small Retailers – Huffington Post
- Abs Joining Apps on Tech Firms’ To-Do List – Los Angeles Times
- India Mulls WTO Complaint Over Higher U.S. Visa Fees – Businessweek
- Mobile Payments Expected to Surge (Infographic) – Huffington Post