Driving the Day: 5/2/12
Subscribe today for Free Enterprise Updates
- Latest business trends and best practices
- News about legislation and regulation impacting business
- Business how-to articles from industry experts
- Commentary and interviews with newsmakers in business and politics
May 2, 2012
Need to know…
- U.S. Manufacturing Grows Fastest in a Year. Manufacturing in the United States grew in April at the fastest pace in almost a year, propelled by a pickup in orders that signaled factories will remain a source of strength for the U.S. expansion. The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index climbed to 54.8 last month, exceeding the most optimistic forecast in a Bloomberg News survey. Readings above 50 signal growth.
- The Case for the Keystone XL Pipeline Gets Stronger. The editorial page of The Washington Post writes today, “The case for ultimately approving the Keystone XL pipeline — always strong — has grown stronger. … [G]iven high world oil prices, the enthusiastic support of the Canadian government, the many transport options and the years available to develop infrastructure, it’s beyond quixotic to believe that enough of the affordable paths out will be blocked. Environmentalists might succeed, however, in relocating some construction jobs outside the United States.” The Post concludes, “So President Obama’s refusal so far to authorize Keystone XL has little rational basis.”
- Private Sectors Adds 119,000 Jobs in April. U.S. private employers added 119,000 jobs in April, significantly less than expected, according to the ADP National Employment Report. This was the smallest gain since September 2011. Economists surveyed by Reuters had forecast that the report would show a gain of 177,000 jobs.
- U.S. Stocks Hits 4-Year High. U.S. stocks moved solidly higher yesterday as investors welcomed a rise in U.S. manufacturing activity and a mixed batch of corporate earnings. The Dow rose 66 points to close at 13,279, the highest since December 2007.
Worth the read…
- Eurozone Manufacturing Deteriorates Further in April – Fox Business
- Small Business Optimism Endures – Inc.
- Companies, Flush with Cash, Share More With Shareholders, Finally. – TIME
- Slowing Sales Show Small Businesses Need Help – Businessweek
- Kickstarter at 3: ‘We’re Still Learning How to Use It’ – Wired
- Pitfalls on Road to IPO Riches – The Wall Street Journal
- Flickr Teams with Pinterest for Photo Attribution – Inc.
- Facebook Sets IPO Date for May 18: Report – Forbes
- Why We Should Worry About Spain’s Economic Pain – TIME
- Sell in May? History Says There’s Another Way – Fox Business