Driving the Day: 11/6/12
Nov 6, 2012
Need to know…
- Small Business Owners Head to Polls Discouraged About Future. Many of the nation’s smallest employers will head to the polls today still discouraged about the future of their businesses and worried about the direction of the U.S. economy. Small business hiring and optimism indicators often vary based on the source; however, in the past month, nearly every survey of small business owners showed pessimism and frustration as employers pull back on hiring and brace for continued uncertainty.
- Gas Prices May Drop for NY-Area Drivers. One week after Superstorm Sandy hit the area, the price of gas has increased 10 cents per gallon or more in the New York City area and in some of the hard-hit parts of New Jersey. Across the United States, however, the price of gasoline is falling quickly; it fell 7 cents this past week and has declined almost 9% in a month to $3.47 per gallon. The national average should be only slightly higher this Election Day than a year ago due to a dramatic drop in the price of wholesale gasoline and low demand from consumers. According to Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service, the price of gas should fall further in the coming weeks, even for people in New York and New Jersey.
- It’s Election Day in America. Election Day has finally arrived. The presidential election is close, with Barack Obama and Mitt Romney entering the day locked in a near-dead heat. More than 30 million people have already cast ballots. Here is a recent video from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce on the importance of voting for American free enterprise. For information on congressional candidates and issues, visit http://www.voteforjobs2012.com.
Worth the read…
- Was the Gas Shortage Preventable? – Fortune
- U.S. Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner to be Easy on the Wallet – Reuters
- Piracy Cuts Into Paid App Sales – Businessweek
- Medical Startups Challenged by Health Care Reform – Wall Street Journal
- Small Businesses Put Ex-Cons to Work – Reuters
- Election Merchandise: Chia Romney and Obama Martini Glasses – CNNMoney
- Greece Faces Cliffhanger Vote as General Strike Begins – Businessweek
- Instagram Introduces Profiles, Gets More Like Facebook – Small Business Trends
- Employers Divided on Dealing with Sandy-Stricken Workers – Fox Business
- Billions in State Tax Hikes, And Breaks, On Nov. 6 Ballot – Forbes