Driving the Day: 11/5/12
Subscribe today for Free Enterprise Updates
- Latest business trends and best practices
- News about legislation and regulation impacting business
- Business how-to articles from industry experts
- Commentary and interviews with newsmakers in business and politics
Nov 5, 2012
Need to know…
- Tomorrow, Vote for Jobs. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce reminds Americans to vote for free enterprise and economic freedom in tomorrow’s critical elections. With a growth agenda that includes increased energy production, expanded trade, innovation, lower taxes, and limited government, America’s best days are ahead. For information about issues, candidates, and key congressional races, click here.
- Small Business Owners Still Uncertain About Health Reform Requirements. According to an eHealth survey, the majority of small business owners either incorrectly think or are not sure whether they must provide health insurance to employees by 2014. Only two of the 439 small businesses surveyed have more than 50 employees and would be legally required to offer health insurance coverage in 2014; however, 34% of the surveyed business owners believed they fall under the requirement, while 35% were uncertain. The confusion over PPACA includes 78% of small business owners who reported being unfamiliar with health insurance exchanges and how they might impact businesses.
- Washington Area Contractors Plan for Delay in Sequestration. Many Washington area government contractors believe the sequestration cuts will be delayed, thus sticking with their current projections for next year. With limited information from the government on how the spending reduction would be implemented, President Obama saying that sequestration “will not happen,” and members of Congress on both sides of the aisle calling for alternatives, contractors are holding back on lowering their financial guidance to Wall Street.
Worth the read…
- Global Shares Fall, Dollar Firms As U.S. Election Looms – Reuters
- Health-Care Law Spurs a Shift to Part-Time Workers – Wall Street Journal [Subscription Required]
- How Information Security Drives SMB Growth Partnerships – Brian Burch, Vice President at Symantec, via Forbes
- How the JOBS Act Impacts Both Private and Public Companies – YFS Entrepreneur
- Don’t Waste Your Time Telling Employees How to Vote – Huffington Post
- Fastest-Growing Jobs – CNNMoney
- Small Businesses Tap Into Cloud for Efficiency – USA Today
- Hurricane Sandy: 8 Small Business Lessons Learned – Forbes
- Millennials Are Eating Out Less – USA Today
- Sandy Means Record Week for Roof Measuring Company – Businessweek
- Greece Makes Austerity Push, Workers Gear for Strike – Reuters